August 26, 2017
School Board’s silence on destructive school funding bill unconscionable
I inquired specifically about the board’s intent to join Broward County in a lawsuit against the state regarding the bill.
I was told the board was awaiting further information from the state, and it would be following up.
On Aug. 15 I again attended the monthly meeting and inquired about what progress has been made. I was told there has been none: “We have not discussed it.”
So far, seven Florida districts have joined the lawsuit, including St. Lucie and Palm Beach, and 10 more are voting on it, yet Martin County has not even discussed it.
One board member — one — responded that the board would now discuss it, and the rest sat in silence.
What kind of message does this send? One of irresponsibility, and complete disrespect toward our schools, our children, and all parents and taxpayers.
The manner in which HB 7069 was rammed through, despite 45,000 points of contact from parents, teachers, and taxpayers opposing it, was unconscionable.
It is hard to believe there will be any true action on this issue considering that Rebecca Negron, wife of Joe Negron, who was instrumental in pushing this devastating bill through, sits on the School Board.
We Martin County citizens must take it upon ourselves to act. The time is now.
School has started. We should not have to wait another month for answers. I urge every
concerned person to contact the School Board and demand action now.
Laurie Prim Conlon, Stuart